Saturday, February 6, 2010

New Locks, New Keys, New realization?

Sunday, 4  people broke into the management office where I live, and stole all the resident keys...horrible feeling to know that someone has the key to your place and could show up at any time... 

Finally, on Thursday the owners of my building decided they would pay to get new locks for those who wanted it.  (Those who wanted it?  Wouldn't everyone?) Really don't know why it took them so long to make the decision...isn't it a no brainer?! Anyway, I am happy to report that the locksmith came today! 

I am telling this story for 2 reasons.  First, I just don't understand people and have made the realization that I wont EVER understand.  In this case with the locks,  it took WAY too much time for any action to have taken place from the owners.  It wasn't just about taking care of the people who live here, there was also the business aspect of it.  This is your business, your assets and you are not going to do what it takes to fix issues before they turn into a bigger issue?  This one hits a little too close to home for me.   

2nd reason... I am always amazed how people are amazed by me.  Yeah, there is my photography but I am talking about me...me being me.  I haven't done anything special.  Most of the things I do, I would do for most anyone.  I am just being myself.  Apparently, a lot of people are not use to being treated like they should be treated, NICELY! This is something that has come up a lot in the past 7 months and I don't think I will ever get used to the comments.  I am flattered that you think I am so nice, but really...you are that amazed to be treated nicely?  Here is a prime example of what I am talking about: 

Locksmith came to the door, "Hi, I am here to change your locks."
Me: "HI!  Great!  Come in!  I am so excited to see you and have this done."
LS smiles: "Yeah, I heard what happened. Horrible.  At least now you can have some peace of mind."
Me: "Exactly.  Would you like some water, tea, juice, coffee?"
I thought his eyes were going to bug out of his head!
LS:  "Wow..really? Coffee would be great!" 

So, I proceeded to the kitchen to make some coffee.

LS: "Ohh, no, no.  I thought it was already made.  You don't have to do that.  Please, don't do that."
Me: "Hu? No, its fine.  I will have some with you."
LS:  "Well...alright."

I smile: "Its fine.  I am happy to do it.  I just wish I could offer you more."
  Coffee is done, I bring it to him.

LS: "Thank you...you know, you are really nice.  You just don't see that much..."  He just kind of looked at me for a minute.  I didn't say anything.  "I can tell you are a kind person.  Its more than the coffee...Its all over your face, your eyes.  I'm sorry.  I don't mean to make you uncomfortable.  You know, its been a really long morning.  Thank you.  I am happy to have met you."

I wasn't uncomfortable at all...maybe he was trying to read my expression and interpreted as such.  He came across sincere.  I wanted to hug him but I didn't.  He finished the job and thanked me again for the coffee.

Mind blowing.      

Thanks for reading, 

Danielle Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment