Sunday, March 7, 2010

Episco Disco

...An event anointed by the SF Chronicle as "unusual fun"
Can you imagine hearing anything but congregational or word of God music in church?  A Catholic church?  Saturday, February 20th at Grace Catherdral  I had my first taste of EpiscoDisco.
At first I felt a bit uncomfortable... there was a DJ, people dancing, a wine sponsor!?!?!  At church?  That was the part I had a hard time getting over.  What was this really about?  I soon learned that Grace Cathedral/Paradise Now had been putting on these events once a month for the past 9 months to get the word out about "embracing innovation and open-minded conversation where inclusion is expected and people of all faiths are welcomed."
Looking around I began to really take it in.  It was all quite beautiful and the art installation by Elizabeth Parks Kibbey , of thousands of flowers hanging upside down above my head as I danced made it all feel surreal.
Truly something I had never experienced. 

Thanks for reading!

Danielle Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment